Building on the tradition of the former Ellendale Colored School 195, NHRDC shares the same grounds and commitment to providing the community a place to learn and grow.
The building that first housed NHRDC is the former Ellendale Colored School 195. 195C served the community for about forty years. The school was built and completed between 1922 and 1925 and closed in the 1960s with the desegregation of schools. The school had two classrooms and served students in grades 1 through 8. Many of the members of the Ellendale community trace their own recreation and development to this building. It is a privilege for NHRDC to have had its start in this building, and it is our intention to continue to honor the legacy of the school in our community by supporting today’s youth in our community.